all things old school: JAGUARZ - Jungle Jamz 2.0 [interview w/ Owen]

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

JAGUARZ - Jungle Jamz 2.0 [interview w/ Owen]

Location: Boston
Release: Climbin' Aboard, 2014

11 years after its original release on Lockin' Out the JAGZ tape is back and is receiving a proper vinyl treatment courtesy of Bo Climbin' Aboard (3 colors to choose from). Their contribution for the Sweet Vision compilation is also here, a total of 8 tracks.

I got to know Owen Black (vocals) when he visited Brazil in 2009/2010, we went for a roadtrip, listened to some miami bass and had some laughs. To celebrate this special occasion I shot a few questions towards him to revive some memories.



AFTER A DECADE, PEOPLE ARE STILL INTERESTED IN THE JAGUARZ. WERE YOU AND THE MENTAL CREW LIVING A SPECIAL TIME IN BOSTON BACK IN EARLY 00’S?
Boston in the early 2000’s was a very special time and place for myself and many others. We were young, carefree, and dedicated to Hardcore. It was exciting to come of age in a scene like that, and to contribute to the tradition of BHC.
I’m very thankful for all the friends I made and the music I experienced during that time. No book or video or recording could fully capture the FUN we had simply being young and expressing ourselves. But at the time, many people could FEEL it, even people far from Boston, and I think that’s why our scene had so much support from all around, and still has interest today.

THESE 8 SONGS STILL SOUND FRESH. WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG? DID YOU PARTAKE IN SOMETHING FOR THIS REPRESS?
Thanks! I think “Jaguarz” is my favorite because it was one of the first songs we wrote and ended up being our theme song. Plus it has a break with just drums and bass at the end, which reminds me that when the band started, we mainly wanted to write a bunch of songs that had drum & bass mosh breaks like Straight Ahead!
I did the layout for the 7" insert, Bo did the rest!


DID YOU AND THE OTHERS IN JAGZ (BESIDES STEPHEN TFS) DO ANYTHING RELATED WITH MUSIC AFTER IT ENDED?
Jeff (guitar) moved back to California and started a garage/power pop band called Pulse Out. Rich (drums) I think continued with his band Sex Positions for a short time until they broke up. He recently moved to Copenhagen but had played drums in two HC bands in NY in the last year or so, Manipulate and Garbageman. I started a couple of bands after Jaguarz, but neither of them played any shows, although we did practice. They were more crossover style, think Nuclear Assault X Best Wishes era Cro-Mags.


ANY CHANCE OF A REUNION TO SUPPORT THIS RELEASE?
I think that might be fun, but unfortunately the Jagz Boyz are pretty spread out around the world right now and have a lot going on in our lives, so I can’t see this happening.


WHATS YOUR TIP FOR 2014’S FOOTBALL WORLD CUP?
My tip for the 2014 World Cup is for people to gain some awareness about the context of this event being held in Brasil and what it means to its citizens, especially those whose homes and lives were destroyed to “make it possible.”
Aside from that, just appreciate any time that you are able to sit and enjoy the games, away from the work and stress of daily life.


WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS, MAYBE ITS MY TIME TO PAY YOU A VISIT! ANY SALUTES OR ADVICES?
I moved out of NYC so come see me in Maine homey! Salutes to my friends in Brasil, and everywhere else. Salutes to my dog, Quicky. I salute my 1987 Ford Bronco XLT (Cassie), my family, hardcore/punk music, and the truth. My advice is to enjoy life while you still can.


PURCHASE (Few copies left)
DOWNLOAD [320kbps]


No comments:

Post a Comment