all things old school: TRUE COLORS - The EP Collection

Monday, July 6, 2020

TRUE COLORS - The EP Collection

Location: Antwerp, België
Release: Powered Records, 2005-2010
Artwork: Spoiler

Age of Quarantine, day # 109 - TRUE X COLORS needs no introduction, although it's better to make clear we are not talking about the 80's NYHC band but the Belgian one! Long story short, guitar man DUNK quit Justice to start TRUE COLORS in 2004, a time also known as The Belgian Old School Hardcore Explosion.

I happened to visit Belgium for a week during the new year's eve in 2009 and despite I didn't see any show while I was there, something peculiar happened. As I was sightseeing heavily, sporting my white True X Colors hoodie, a friend of the person hosting me there came along and recognised the band on my apparel and got truly amazed, for 2 reasons: 1- they were her childhood friends; 2- because, for her, they were just a local garage band (lol)! She then immediately called one of the TC guys and I ended talking to them over the phone as they were all hanging out together with the dudes from Loud And Clear. Also when I visited a skateshop in Antwerp it was playing Focus On The Light on the stereo and I had a chat with the clerk, even though I never saw them play live I have these memories with me.

In an effort to make available high standard material here, despite the good amount of websites/blogs covering them out there, I researched for better and clearer rips of their EPs (except Consider It Done), especially the Perspective 7" which is my second favorite record by them. For that I used the CD version of Rush Of Hope that contains this EP, the same goes for the 2006's True Colors EP (Not Just Words Records) which comes as a bonus on the CD version of Focus On The Light.


It seems Powered Records ceased its operation for good now, for what I know Control Records and Reality Records are now the only remaining labels interested in old school in Belgium, what an exciting time those years were, not only for the locals but for aficionados of the style everywhere. For more detailed pressing info and limited versions of each release from TRUE COLORS please visit these two fine webpages: Life Trap! and Records with History and Future.

DOWNLOAD these albums [with scans]:

2005 - Get 'Em (Drink Milk Records)
2006 - True Colors EP (Not Just Words Records)
2008 - Perspective (Powered Records)
2010 - Bonus EP (Six Feet Under Records)

I highly recommend the reading of that zine linked at the top, 2 other bands interviewed there that can be found here are LOSING STREAK and NEWGATE POTENTIAL, if you haven't already, they are damn worth checking hands down!

No comments:

Post a Comment